Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Week 6 Thing 15

I just finished reading "Away From Icebergs". I must agree with the concept of doing away with "just in case collections". I feel that most of the materials in our reference collections should be shifted to circulationg collections or in many cases, gotten rid of entirely. There are so many current web sites, on so many different topics, that book versions are out of date before they even hit the market.

I also agree that our services need to be available to all, with limitied training on how to use them. Patrons need to feel that they can easily use our technology.

I also read "Into a New World of Librarianship". I do feel that we need to do all we can to reach all segments of the population. If posting ourselves and our programs to myspace will do that, than so be it.
I do love the line in this article that says "This librarian does not buy technology for the sake of technology."

No comments: